The Gamma Alpha chapter was established at the University of Tennessee in 1947 and has been a central part of campus life ever since!
One of our sisters became the first female president of the Student Government Association; she was also UT's first female Rhodes Scholar and would go on to Harvard Law School and eventually work for the White House.
We were also the second Delta Gamma chapter in the nation to host Anchor Splash, our annual philanthropy event benefiting Service for Sight. After Gamma Alpha's first Anchor Splash was such a success, the fraternity began sponsoring it at other universities.
What DG's have been up to during the 2013-2016 school years:
- 10 sisters were initiated into Mortar Board, UT's highest senior honor society!
- We were honored with the "Outstanding Member Programming" award from the Panhellenic Council.
- We participated in All Sing with Beta Upsilon Chi and won first place in the co-ed division.
- A Gamma Alpha woman was named "2013 Panhellenic Woman of the Year"
- The new member class of 2013 won second place in Lip Sync.
- A Gamma Alpha woman was chosen as Alpha Gamma Rho's Rose for the year of 2013.
- We participated in Homecoming in 2013 with Beta Upsilon Chi. We won third place in large banner and second place in small float.
- In 2013, we won first place for the third year in a row in Alpha Gamma Rho's Water Wars event benefiting St. Jude's Childrens' Hospital.
- We hosted our first Delta Jamma BBQ event benefiting Service for Sight in 2014.
- We participated in Homecoming in 2014 with Phi Gamma Delta and placed second in the Tower of Cans competition and third in the small float division.
- We were given the Pan Award in March of 2015.
- A Gamma Alpha received the "Torchbearer" award--UT's highest student honor!
- We won first place in Chi Omega's Flag Football Tournament benefiting their philanthropy, The Dream Connection.
- We won first place in Zeta Tau Alpha's 3 Day For ZTA events benefiting breast cancer awareness
- We won first place in Beta Upsilon Chi's volleyball tournament during their Island Week Philanthropy benefiting TIVA water, and second place overall.
- A Gamma Alpha woman was chosen as Beta Upsilon Chi's Rose for the year 2015.
- A Gamma Alpha woman was chosen as Kappa Alpha's Rose for the year 2015.
- The new member class of 2016 won third place in Lip Sync.
- In 2016, we participated in homecoming by ourselves and won first place in small banner.
- In 2017, we won second place in Alpha Gamma Rho's Water Wars event.
- We were awarded Panhellenic Chapter of the Year at Greek Awards 2018.
- A Gamma Alpha woman was awarded Best Innovative Program of the Year, as well as Emerging Leader of the Year at the 2017 Greek Awards.
- The new member class of 2017 won first place in Lip Sync.
- We participated in Homecoming 2017 with Pi Kappa Alpha and won first place in small float, donating over 500 books and flowers that were a part of the float, to the greater Knoxville area.
- In 2019 Gamma Alpha won Chapter of the Year for the second year in a row.
- A Gamma Alpha woman was awarded Greek Person of the Year at the 2019 Greek Awards.